Don't discard fish on ice.
Discarding fish on the ice is illegal
- It is considered littering to leave fish on the ice when your trip is finished.
- It is considered wanton waste to leave fish on the ice.
Burbot are the most commonly discarded fish on Lake of the Woods
- Burbot are native to Lake of the Woods. They have co-existed with other fish for hundreds of years.
- Burbot are the only freshwater member of the Cod family.
- They provide excellent table fare. They taste every bit as good as their popular Marine cousins.
- They are scrappy fighters.
- They can grow to a large size. The Minnesota state record is 19.5 lbs. That fish was caught on Lake of the Woods in 2012.
So, give burbot the respect they deserve
- Keep them to eat, or release them immediately down the hole.
Violators will be ticketed
For more information on the this topic, contact the Baudette Area Fisheries office at 218-634-2522, or email Assistant Area Fisheries Supervisor.