Engaging Citizens to Improve our Great Lakes Watershed through Strategic Community Forestry Efforts


Resource for City Staff

Looking for finanical information and forms contact

Grant Project Manager: Valerie McClannahan
Email: Valerie.McClannahan@state.mn.us
Phone: 651-259-5283

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will be your main point of contact for the financial pieces of this grant and will:

Looking for recuiting and volunteer information contact

Professor of Urban and Community Forestry: Gary Johnson
Email: johns054@umn.edu
Phone number: 612-625-3765

You will be working directly with staff from the University of Minnesota's Department of Forest Resources to recruit and train volunteers that will help you maintain your newly planted trees. Department of Forest Resources staff will work with your community staff to engage local citizens by:

Finances

When submitting for reimbursement, any cash-match contribution, or in-kind match contribution, make sure to completely fill out the appropriate forms in full as to expedite processing.? Reimbursements will only be made after forms are filled to completion with all necessary documentation.

All purchases that you submit as part of this grant must be considered an "Eligible Expense".? For the purposes of this grant eligible expenses will be defined as expenses that not only benefit your community's urban and community forest but can also be used to engage citizens and volunteers.? If you are ever unsure of a purchase, contact Valerie McClannahan.

Grant Funds

As a Grantee you are expected to make initial purchases, and then request reimbursement under the terms of the grant agreement. You can receive partial payments of your total grant only up to 90 percent of the grant funds awarded. The remaining 10 percent or more of the grant funds will be paid after completion of the final report.

Required forms:

Matching Grant Funds

Matching this grant is not required but can help both your community and the DNR obtain grant funds in the future. Matching funds must be raised from non-federal sources and cannot be used to match any other federal grant. Any match should be an "Eligible Expense". If you are willing to track and submit match funds, a good goal to shoot for is 50% or your total grant.

Applicable forms:

Purchases not eligible for reimbursement may be submitted as a cash-match, but must be an "Eligible Expense" for the project. Ineligible grant-funded expenses that can be purchased by the city that are an eligible cash-match include, but is not limited to:

Required signage

All projects completed in the field will require signage to state that funds were received from the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative. Any project completed in the field, that will be visible to the general public, will require signage that gives project information and credit to the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative and the Forest Service.

Here are some examples of signage:

Any signage intended to fulfill this requirement must receive prior approval by the Forest Service prior to implementation.?Please send draft signage electronically to Valerie McClannahan at Valerie.McClannahan@state.mn.us who will pass it along to appropriate staff at the Forest Service.