Funding opportunities outside of the Minnesota DNR

This is a sample of other financial assistance opportunities to explore outside of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Good luck with your search!

MN Grants!

State of Minnesota single entry point to State of Minnesota competitive grant opportunities.

Minnesota Board of Water Resources

The Minnesota Board of Water and Soil Resources (BWSR) is a state agency dedicated to helping local governments manage natural resources. BWSR aims to improve local capability by providing technical, financial, and administrative assistance. To learn more about BWSR, visit their website at or call them at 651-296-3767.

Minnesota Council on Foundations

The Minnesota Council on Foundations produces the Guide to Minnesota Grantmakers, a directory of foundation and corporate grantmaking programs. They are dedicated to helping nonprofit organizations identify potential partners and financial supporters to help sustain and improve Minnesota communities. For more information about their organization, visit their website at or call them at 612-338-1989.

Minnesota Department of Transportation

The Minnesota Department of Transportation has two funding categories that focus on bicycle, pedestrian and natural resource issues. The first is the Transportation Enhancements Program, which targets funding for twelve eligible categories of projects, including bicycle or pedestrian facilities and projects that are historic, scenic or environmental in nature. The second is the Scenic Byways Program, which makes funds available for eight eligible categories of projects on state and nationally designated Scenic Byways. Visit the National Scenic Byways Website at for detailed information. To learn about these programs and others, visit: or call 651-296-3000, or toll-free 800-657-3774.

Minnesota Financial Aid to Private Landowners

This 16 page guide describes 52 programs for private landowners. It is produced by the University of Minnesota Extension Service. To receive a free copy, contact them at 612-625-8173 and ask for publication number BU-5946-Z or visit their website at

Minnesota Pollution Control Agency

There are various opportunities available for receiving financial assistance to help protect and improve Minnesota's natural resources. To learn more, visit the MPCA website at, or call 651-296-6300 in the Metro area or toll free 800-657-3864.

Piper Resources

Piper Resources provides public information about state and local government on the internet. If you are interested in learning more about state or local governments in Minnesota or anywhere, visit:

Sustainable Communities Grants Program

The purpose of the Sustainable Communities Grants Program is to facilitate the development of new sustainability initiatives in communities throughout the United States. For more information about their programs, visit:

Twin Cities Metropolitan Council

The Metropolitan Council has a variety of financial and technical assistance programs available to Twin Cities communities and residents. Their programs are loosely organized around environment, community development, and transportation issues. To learn more about Met Council's programs, visit:

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has an array of financial assistance programs. The EPA's Office of Environmental Education supports projects that enhance the public's awareness, knowledge, and skills to make informed decisions that affect environmental quality.