Horseback trail riding safety tips
- Wear a helmet.
- Wear appropriate footwear with a heel, that fits easily in and out of your stirrups. Avoid deep-lugged soles.
- Ride single file when another rider is approaching from either direction.
- When meeting hikers and bicyclists, reduce gait to a walk and allow room to pass.
- If your horse kicks, tie a red ribbon in its tail.
- If you have an unruly horse which you cannot control at all times, please do not bring the horse on public trails as you will be jeopardizing the safety of others.
- Ride in groups.
- Carry a trail map and know your location.
- Carry a cell phone (in your pocket, not in saddlebag).