Dark River Trout Stream Restoration Project
Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MDNR), as the Responsible Governmental Unit for environmental review of the Dark River Trout Stream Restoration Project in Great Scott Township and in St. Louis County, Minnesota has issued a Record of Decision (on February, 5, 2009) regarding the Need for an Environmental Impact Statement for the proposed project. The MDNR has concluded that an Environmental Impact Statement is not required because the project does not have the potential for significant environmental effects. The justification for this determination is contained in the Record of Decision (below). The Record of Decision also contains the Department's responses to all timely and substantive written comments received on the Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW) during both the original 30-day public review and comment period and during an additional review and comment period on proposed modifications to the project at one of the three restoration sites. Issuing this Record of Decision concludes the State environmental review process for this project and the project can proceed to permitting and approvals.
- Cover Letter and Record of Decision (February 5, 2009) (1.5mb)
- Attachment No. 1 (EAW written comment letters) for Record of Decision (February 5, 2009) (1.9mb)
- Attachment No. 2 (late EAW written comment letters) for Record of Decision (February 5, 2009) (108kb)
- Attachment No. 3 (project modifications written comment letters) for Record of Decision (February 5, 2009) (673kb)
- Attachment No. 4 (late project modifications written comment letters) for Record of Decision (February 5, 2009) (60kb)
- January 24, 2008 Cover Letter and Description of Proposed Project Modifications (1.3mb)
- 13 Figures for Proposed Project Modifications (January, 2008) (4.5mb)
Proposed Project Modifications at the Long Pond Restoration Site (January to February, 2008 Additional Public Review and Comment Period)
Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) proposes to improve habitat for trout and associated cold-water organisms along 7,600 feet of the Dark River in Great Scott Township, St. Louis County and in St. Louis County. The proposed stream channel restoration involves adjusting the dimension, pattern, and profile through the placement of wood and rock structures to improve stream stability and trout habitat. Stream restoration will occur at three different sites along the Dark River and most of the project area is within the Superior National Forest. The EAW describes the project and the potential environmental effects.
A 30-day public review and comment period will begin on July 30, 2007, with the publication of the notice of availability of this EAW in the EQB Monitor. For additional copies of the EAW, call the number below.
Written and signed comments on the EAW must be received by Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 4:30 p.m.
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Hinckley Area Office
Attn: Dean Paron
P.0. Box 398
Hinckley, MN 55037
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org "Dark River Trout Stream Restoration Project" needs to be included in the subject line. Include your name and mailing address so that you can be added to the mailing list.
Submit signed comment letters by fax to (320) 384-6160.
Please call (320) 384-7721 if you have questions about this EAW.
Dark River Trout Stream Restoration Project
- Cover Letter for Environmental Assessment Worksheet (276kb)
- Environmental Assessment Worksheet (372kb)
- Figure 1 (County Map) (1.0mb)
- Figure 2 (Topographic map) (4.7mb)
- Figure 3 (Boundary Map for Potlatch Site with Ownership) (40kb)
- Figure 4 (Boundary Map for Potlatch Site - FSA Photo) (982kb)
- Figure 5 (Plan View Site Plan Potlatch 40, Southeast Half) (498kb)
- Figure 6 (Plan View Site Plan for Potlatch 40, North Half) (464kb)
- Figure 7 (Plan View Site Plan for Potlatch 40, Between Unnamed Tributary and Leander Creek) (377kb)
- Figure 8 (Plan View Site Plan for Potlatch Site, Leander Reach) (138kb)
- Figure 9 (Boundary Map for County Road 65 with Ownership) (37kb)
- Figure 10 (Boundary Map for County Road 65 - FSA Photo) (1.0mb)
- Figure 11 (Plan View Site Plan for County Road 65 Site) (273kb)
- Figure 12 (Boundary Map for Long Pond Site with Ownership) (30kb)
- Figure 13 (Boundary Map for Long Pond Site - FSA Photo) (983kb)
- Figure 14 (Long Pond Plan View) (710kb)
- Figure 15 (Floodplain Map) (256kb)
- Figure 16 (Typical Rock Riffle Design) (144kb)
- Figure 17 (Single Rock Vane Typical Design) (141kb)
- Figure 18 (Typical Tree Revetment Installation) (34kb)
- Figure 19 ( Typical Cross Section with Coir Roll Placed to Reduce Width) (23kb)
- Figure 20 (Typical Coir Log Installation Instructions) (95kb)
- Figure 21 (Typical Rock Cross Vane) (284kb)
- Figure 22 (Typical Tree Revetment Installation) (31kb)
- Attachment 1 (Natural Heritage Information) (133kb)
- Attachment 2 (Natural Heritage Database Index) (62kb)
- Attachment 3 (46kb)
This information is available in an alternative format upon request. E-mail the DNR Information Center at email@example.com or call at (651) 296-6157 or (888) MINNDNR.