Pelican Lake Restoration Project
Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MDNR), as the Responsible Governmental Unit for environmental review of the Pelican Lake Restoration Project in the Cities of Albertville and St. Michael, and in Buffalo and Monticello Townships, in Wright County, Minnesota has issued a Record of Decision regarding the Need for an Environmental Impact Statement for the proposed project. The MDNR has concluded that an Environmental Impact Statement is not required because the project does not have the potential for significant environmental effects. The justification for this determination is contained in the Record of Decision (below). The Record of Decision also contains the Department's responses to all substantive written comments received on the Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW) during the 30-day public review and comment period.
Issuing this Record of Decision concludes the State environmental review process for this project and the project can proceed to permitting and approvals.
- Pelican Lake Restoration Project Cover Letter and Record of Decision (January 15, 2009) (894kb)
- Pelican Lake Restoration Project Attachment No. 1 (written comment letters on EAW) (3,345kb)
- Pelican Lake Restoration Project Attachment No. 2 (late written comment letters on EAW ) (251kb)
Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
A 30-day public review and comment period is open from May 19, 2008 through June 18, 2008. Public notice of the availability of this EAW is in the May 19, EQB Monitor. (200kb)
The proposed project
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) proposes a restoration project to lower high lake levels 3.3 feet from the current elevation of 954.0 feet on the 4,000-acre Pelican Lake (an MDNR-designated wildlife lake) in Wright County for wildlife management purposes. The project includes reducing high water levels, constructing an outlet weir, constructing 23,800 feet of new stream channel, restoring a 180-acre wetland, stabilizing the lower reaches of Regal Creek, and constructing a velocity-tube fish barrier. The proposed project is located in Wright County, Minnesota in the cities of Albertville and St. Michael and in Buffalo and Monticello Townships.
Written and signed comments on the EAW must be received by Wednesday, June 18, 2008 at 4:30 p.m.
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Division of Ecological Resources, Box 25
Attn: Charlotte Cohn
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155-4025
Send to email@example.com "Pelican Lake Restoration Project" needs to be included in the subject line. Include your name and mailing address so that you can be added to the mailing list.
Submit signed comment letters by fax to (651) 297-1500.
Please call (651) 259-5072 if you have questions about this EAW.
Pelican Lake Restoration Project
- Cover Letter for Environmental Assessment Worksheet (334kb)
- Environmental Assessment Worksheet (658kb)
- Figure 1 (County Map) (364kb)
- Figure 2 (Topographic map) (2,286kb)
- Figure 3 (General Site Plan) (1,167kb)
- Figure 4 (Site Plan Construction Phase 1) (533kb)
- Figure 5 (Site Plan Construction Phase 2) (376kb)
- Figure 6 (Site Plan Construction Phase 3) (452kb)
- Figure 7 (Site Plan Construction Phase 4) (346kb)
- Figure 8 (Proposed Pelican Lake Outlet Profile) (34kb)
- Figure 9 (New Stream Channels Typical Cross-Section) (33kb)
- Figure 10 (Pelican Lake Watershed Existing Land Cover) (438kb)
- Figure 11 (Regal Creek Watershed Existing Land Cover) (6,691kb)
- Figure 12 (Regal Creek Erosion Analysis Reaches) (1,387kb)
- Figure 13 (Schematic of St. Michael Meadows Wetland Outlet) (66kb)
- Figure 14 (Elevations Associated with the St. Michael Meadows Wetland) (58kb)
- Figure 15 (Proposed Wetland Effects) (1,283kb)
- Figure 16 (Wetland type changes for Pelican Lake outlet) (1,081kb)
- Figure 17 (Alternative Outlet Alignments) (780kb)
- Figure 18 (Wright County Shoreland Map) (1,246kb)
- Figure 19 (City of St. Michael Shoreland Map) (624kb)
- Figure 20 (Wright County Floodplain Map) (482kb)
- Figure 21 (City of St. Michael Floodplain Map) (720kb)
- Figure 22 (Dissolved Oxygen Concentrations in Regal Creek) (33kb)
- Figure 23 (E. Coli Concentrations and Turbidity in Pelican Lake) (66kb)
- Figure 24 (Surficial Geology and Groundwater Features) (1,499kb)
- Figure 25 (Soil Texture) (1,173kb)
- Figure 26 (Archaeological, Historical, and Architectural sites and properties) (770kb)
- Figure 27 (Prime or Unique Farmland) (2,288kb)
- Attachment 1 (Natural Heritage Information) (598kb)
- Attachment 2 (Natural Heritage Database Index) (600kb)
- Appendix A (Fisheries resources) (1,223kb)
- Appendix B (Regal Creek Erosion Analysis) (64kb)
- Appendix C (Wildlife surveys) (2,700kb)
- Appendix D (Groundwater and Surface Water Hydrology Interactions) (7,042kb)
- Appendix E (Pelican Lake Long-Term Water Budget) (2,285kb)
- Appendix F (Alternative Outlet Alignment Comparison) (47kb)
- Appendix G (In-Lake Water Quality) (468kb)
- Appendix H (Total phosphorus loads and concentration) (37kb)
- Appendix I (Vehicle and equipment maintenance and fueling facilities) (946kb)
This information is available in an alternative format upon request. E-mail the DNR Information Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at (651) 296-6157 or (888) MINNDNR.