Wisel Creek Trout Stream Habitat Restoration/Improvement Project
Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MDNR), as the Responsible Governmental Unit for environmental review of the Wisel Creek Trout Stream Habitat Improvement/Restoration Project in Newburg Township in Fillmore County, has issued a Record of Decision regarding the Need for an Environmental Impact Statement for the project. The MDNR has concluded that an Environmental Impact Statement is not required because the project does not have the potential for significant environmental effects. The justification for this determination is contained in the Record of Decision (click below). The Record of Decision also contains the Department's responses to all substantive written comments received on the Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW) during the 30-day public review and comment period.
Issuing this Record of Decision concludes the State environmental review process for this project and the project can proceed to permitting and approvals.
- Cover Letter for Record of Decision (November 6, 2006) (157kb)
- Record of Decision (October 31, 2006) (151kb)
- Attachment (comment letters) for Record of Decision (October 31, 2006) (72kb)
Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
A 30-day public review and comment period is open from September 11, 2006 through October 11, 2006. Public notice of the availability of this EAW is in the September 11, 2006 EQB Monitor.
The proposed project
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) proposes to improve stream habitat for trout and associated cold-water organisms along 4,375 feet of Wisel Creek in Newburg Township, Fillmore County, Minnesota. The proposed stream channel restoration, including re-alignment, will involve the reconstruction of channel dimensions, pattern, and profile resulting in a more stable stream channel with improved trout habitat.
Written and signed comments on the EAW must be received by Wednesday, October 11, 2006 at 4:30 p.m.
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Hinckley Area Office
Attn: Dean Paron
P.0. Box 398
Hinckley, MN 55037
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org "Wisel Creek Trout Stream" needs to be included in the subject line. Include your name and mailing address so that you can be added to the mailing list.
Submit signed comment letters by fax to (320) 384-6160.
Please call (320) 384-7721 if you have questions about this EAW.
- Cover letter for EAW (183kb)
- Environmental Assessment Worksheet (170kb)
- Figure 1 (County Map) (259kb)
- Figure 2 (Topographic map) (2.2mb)
- Figure 3 (General Site Photo) (2.2mb)
- Figure 4 (Existing and Proposed Channel Alignment) (62kb)
- Figure 5 (Proposed Channel Alignment) (49kb)
- Figure 6 (Grading and Site plan) (192kb)
- Figure 7 (Typical Riffle Cross-Section) (14kb)
- Figure 8 (Proposed Longitudinal Profile) (22kb)
- Figure 9 (Diagram of a Skyhook) (18kb)
- Figure 10 (Lunker Structure) (18kb)
- Figure 11 (Typical Rock Weir) (48kb)
- Figure 12 (Floodplain Map) (254kb)
- Attachment 1 (Natural Heritage Info) (194kb)
- Attachment 2 (State Historic Preservation Office Letter) (77kb)
This information is available in an alternative format upon request. E-mail the DNR Information Center at email@example.com or call at (651) 296-6157 or (888) MINNDNR.