2013 Minnesota DNR Wildlife Student Internships
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Section of Wildlife utilizes qualified students to assist with projects. Relationships between students and the agency vary with the needs and available budget for each project and the desires of the student. DNR has occasional paid student internships, some seasonal and others lasting as long as 12 months. Summer intern positions are often times filled during winter. Students that are required to complete an internship as part of an undergraduate degree or seeking experience to strengthen their resumes may consider an internship on a volunteer basis.
- All students interested in an internship with the DNR will be required to apply to the appropriate Internship posting with their resume and submit an Internship Application.
- All internships will be posted on the State of Minnesota jobs website
(https://statejobs.doer.state.mn.us/JobPosting ). Under “Department,” highlight “Natural Resources Dept”, then click the search button at the bottom of the page. Complete instructions will be outlined in each internship posting.
PURPOSE: Internships provide students with a work experience that fulfills an academic requirement and/or results in academic credit from an accredited educational institution. The intent of an Internship is to provide a learning experience that is directly related to the student’s academic program.
ELIGIBILITY: Students must receive academic credit or their academic program must require an internship. Students enrolled in minimal courses or those who enroll in a class for the sole purpose of becoming eligible for an Internship that are not part of an ongoing academic program are not eligible to be employed as Interns.
Interested students may contact each of the DNR Wildlife Research Groups for internships involving research and survey projects and the Regional Wildlife Offices for internships involving wildlife management projects.
Minnesota DNR Wildlife Research Groups
Farmland Wildlife Populations and Research Group; Madelia, MN
Marrett Grund, Group Leader, email@example.com
Internships may be available on a volunteer basis. No paid internships are available during summer 2013.
Forest Wildlife Populations and Research Group; Grand Rapids, MN
Mike Larson, Group Leader, firstname.lastname@example.org
Currently, there are no internships available in the Forest Group. Project leaders in the Forest Group, however, often offer other types of opportunities for temporary work (e.g., contracts, volunteers with expense reimbursement).
Wetlands Wildlife Populations and Research Group; Bemidji, MN
Jeff Lawrence, Group Leader, email@example.com
We are currently accepting applications for summer waterfowl banding internships:
Application Deadline: March 11, 2013
https://statejobs.doer.state.mn.us/JobPosting (keyword search waterfowl)
We are also accepting applications for seasonal waterfowl banding technicians:
Application Deadline: March 5, 2013
Wildlife Health Program, Forest Lake, MN
Michelle Carstensen, Program Supervisor, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Wildlife Health Program may have paid internship opportunities available in 2013. Contact Michelle Carstensen for possible opportunities.
Minnesota DNR Wildlife Shallow Lakes Program
Ann Geisen, email@example.com
The application deadline for summer 2013 internship positions was January 25th , 2013. Applications are no longer being accepted.
The Program might have funding to hire interns next year. Check back in December 2013/January 2014 to see if internships will be available for summer 2014.
Minnesota DNR Wildlife Management Offices
- Southern Region, Ken Varland, Regional Wildlife Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Southern Region does not currently have any paid internships for 2013. However, we would welcome any unpaid interns.
- Central Region, Tim Bremicker, Regional Wildlife Manager, email@example.com
- Northwest Region, John Williams, Acting Regional Wildlife Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Red Lake Wildlife Management Area will have an internship available for spring/summer 2013. Duties include survey work and data entry and analysis. The pay is $10/hour and housing will be provided. Contact Wildlife Area Management Gretchen Mehmel at Gretchen.email@example.com for more information.
- Northeast Region, Jeff Lightfoot, Regional Wildlife Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
State of Minnesota DNR jobs website and fisheries intern information
For Minnesota DNR employment opportunities
- Go to www.careers.state.mn.us.
- Click “Search for a job” in the center of the opening page.
- Under “Department,” highlight “Natural Resources Dept.
- Click on search at the bottom of the page.
Also, visit www.dnr.state.mn.us/jobs/index.html
Other wildlife internship opportunities
There are other opportunities for students to get experience in the wildlife field. For example, The Minnesota Chapter of the Wildlife Society (MNTWS) has a student mentor program to help guide students interested in a career in wildlife and natural resources. This program matches a student with a wildlife professional mentor, who would then provide the student with job shadow opportunities, resume and cover letter advice, and ideas on how to gain experience. Check out the MNTWS website: http://www.mntws.org/mn/mentoring.html for more information.