Mentoring & MinnAqua
I Can Fish - Just a Cast Away!
by Michael Kurre, Mentor Coordinator
Are you looking to create fishing as a life-long endeavor and you don’t know where to start? Look no further, Minnesota State Parks, MinnAqua program and local anglers have teamed-up to provide the prefect angling experience at parks scattered across the land of 10,000 lakes, called “I Can Fish”.
A key to continued participation in angling is multiple opportunities and the State Parks are providing just that by utilizing open shore fishing, sprinkled with education and hands-on angling activities at 8 State Parks once a week. The “I Can Fish” program will basically work like this:
- A MinnAqua Trained State Park employee will meet you at the pier or shore
- Fishing equipment and bait are provided
- Basic instructions on fishing and highlights about the aquatic habitat are provided by MinnAqua trained staff and local experienced anglers
- You go fishing for a hour or two on a day or evening designated by each park
The “I Can Fish” program targets young and old inexperienced anglers from the local area or folks traveling through to other destinations. Come one, come all…..it’s FREE and it’s FUN!
To find out more about the “I Can Fish” series, cast your mouse over to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources State Parks Events Page for times, dates and the nearest State Park that is participating.
I’ll bet you’ll say, “I Can Fish” by the last cast of the day.
P.S. • Don’t forget Take a Kid Fishing weekend is on June 11 through 13. You don’t need a license if you have a youth under age 16 actively fishing with you.
• To set the hook on more “Discover Your Outdoors” activities, visit: www.mndnr.gov/mentoring.