DNR Garmin Application
A new version of DNRGarmin (DNRGPS) is available. Use new version with ArcMap 10.x.
Current DNRGarmin Version:
NOTE: DNRGarmin is not entirely compatible with ArcGIS 10.0. The toolbar appears in ArcMap10.0 and it will launch the DNRGarmin application, but DNRGarmin does not recognize ArcMap is open. Download the new DNRGPS to resolve this issue.
Purpose of this Application
DNRGarmin was built to transfer data between Garmin GPS handheld receivers and various GIS software packages.
The application has a real-time tracking mode that allows users to follow their progress on the ground within an ArcView View Document, ArcMap Data Frame, or Landview Map. This real-time track log can be saved as either points or lines as a set of graphics or in a shapefile.
DNRGarmin contains (but is not limited to) the following functionality:
|Download Waypoints/Tracks/Routes||Download waypoints, tracks, and routes from Garmin GPS and save as ArcView Shapefiles or Graphics|
|Upload Waypoints/Tracks/Routes||Upload waypoints, tracks, and routes to Garmin GPS|
|Real-Time Tracking||Collect real-time locational information and store as graphics or shapefile|
|Waypoint to Point||Converts Waypoints downloaded from the GPS unit into a point shapefile or graphics|
|Track to Point/Line/Polygon||Converts a Garmin Track log to an ArcView graphic or shapefile|
|Point to Waypoint||Convert Point shapes or graphics to a GPS Waypoint|
|Line/Polygon to Track||Converts a line or polygon to a Garmin Track|
|Point to Line/Polygon||Converts Point themes to Lines or Polygons|
|Add Documentation to Features||Adds basic documentation to ArcView themes including Name, GPS Model, Date, Agency, etc. - Arcview 3.x only|
|Calculate Shape Attributes||Calculates Area, Perimeter, Length attributes for features. Arcview 3.x / 9.x|
|Calculate CEP||Determine Circular Error Probability rings for Error estimation. Arcview 3.x / 9.x|
|Image Hotlinking||Create hotlinks between images and GPS data.|
|USB Connectivity||Speed up your downloads by a factor of about 10 with USB connectivity option!|
|Projection Engine||Built in Projection Functionality using Proj.4 Cartographic Projections Library by Gerald Evenden|
Note: Full documentation for DNRGarmin can be accessed from the Help menu in the application.
- DNRGarmin 5.4.1 (11.5 MB)
- Last modified 9/22/08
- Compatible with NT/2000/XP/7
- Compatible with most Garmin models including Nuvi units
- Compatible with ArcGIS 9.x, Arcview 3.x, ArcExplorer 2.0 (non-Java), Landview 4.x, Google Earth
- Not compatible with ArcGIS 10. The toolbar will appear in ArcMap10 DNRGarmin will launch, but DNRGarmin will not recognize ArcMap is open. Use the new DNRGPS instead.
Two mailing lists support DNRGarmin:
- email@example.com - Used to notify users of upgrades and updates. This is a replacement for the previous mailing list.
- firstname.lastname@example.org - A discussion list for users that would like to post questions to the general DNRGarmin user community.
DNR Garmin WIKI
The DNR Garmin Wiki is no longer monitored. Read the archived Wiki here.