Non-resident State ORV Trail Pass

Beginning January 1, 2012 Non-residents registered in another state operating an ORV on state or grant-in-aid trails must possess a trail pass. The trail pass needs to be displayed on the machine. The pass must be viewable by a peace officer, a conservation officer, or a DNR employee.

If the ORV is not registered in another state then the ORV is required to register in Minnesota and this pass is not required. Non-residents do NOT need a pass if operating on a portion of an ORV trail that is owned by the person or the persons spouse, child, or parent. Duplicate non-resident ORV trail passes are available.


image of three-year non resident ORV pass

image of one year non resident ORV pass

Fees for a Non-resident State ORV Trail Pass are:
1 year ORV trail pass is $21.00, the 3 year trail pass is $31.00. Duplicates are $2.50.

Non-resident ORV Trail pass 1 year and 3 year are now available for sale over the internet or at any game and fish electronic licensing system (E.L.S.) agent. E.L.S. gives you three options for buying licenses: online, by phone or in person. Duplicates are also available via any of the below purchasing methods.


  • Online licensing:

    buy your license online at:

  • Phone:

    You can purchase licenses by phone: 1-888-665-4236 (1-888-MNLicense). Call any time of day or night, seven days a week. This toll-free call provides immediate licensing by way of a license identification number, which will be issued at the time of the call. The license identification number is valid until you receive an actual license in the mail. All purchases must be made by credit card. An additional convenience fee is added for sales via Web site or telephone (see web site for details).

  • In person:

    There are numerous ELS locations across Minnesota where you can buy hunting and fishing licenses and ski, horse and Non-resident ATV passes and apply for hunting lotteries in person. Look for ELS locations near you.