Steps & Techniques: Designing Your Shoreline
Sample Interview Questions
The following questions will help you determine if a landscape professional is qualified and experienced:
- Have you designed shoreline landscapes before?
- Can you provide three references from shoreline projects that you've completed?
- May I visit them? If possible, visit their reference sites and talk to the owners to determine if:
- the projects were successfully established on time and within budget
- the property owners' needs were met
- design features incorporated a native buffer to protect water quality and provide habitat for native fish and wildlife.
- Where did you learn to design and install native plants?
- What is your educational background in landscape design or native restoration work? Good consultants usually have some formal training combined with field experience.
- Where do you obtain your native plants and/or seeds? A native landscape restorationist should patronize local native plant nurseries and use local origin stock. Local nurseries may be able to refer you to reputable designers and restorationists.