Resources: GPS loaner kit for school forests
Ever wanted to create a map, a geocache, or teach students to navigate in your school forest? Check out this loaner kit! (Available for schools in the School Forest Program only.)
Each kit contains:
- 25 Garmin eTrex 20 GPS units, with USB cables and batteries
- 25 SUUNTO A-10 Compasses
- binder of GPS lessons (grades 5 and up)
- teaching map compass
- teaching directions maps coordinates
- how to set up a geocaching lesson—teacher
- GPS hide and seek—middle school
- mystery bug challenge—middle school
- tree identification trail
- GPS mapping
- my land plan project—middle and high school
- GIS GPS grouse management—high school
- how to measure distance by pacing
- tree id and forest mapping—high school
- trail camera placement—high school
- GPS treasure hunt
- Garmin eTrex20 instruction booklet
- additional tools include: 25 Beginner's Guide to Minnesota Trees, 5 water and soil thermometers, and 5 d-tapes.
The shipping to and from your school is free. When finished, attach the return sticker (provided) and place the kit in your school office for pick up.
Kits can be reserved for a 3-week time frame. Reserve your kit by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-259-5301, with your name, school forest name, phone number, email address, and two or three potential dates.