Learn to hunt: Wild turkey
Opportunity includes adults and military families
in early January
Hunts are sanctioned and managed between the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources and the National Wild Turkey Federation.
The hunts have three purposes
- They are intended as educational experiences to teach new turkey hunters (youth, their parents/guardians, adults and families) the skills and techniques needed to be life-long turkey hunters
- They provide first time and inexperienced turkey hunters a high-quality experience to help recruit them as hunters
- They provide opportunities to access specific locations that might otherwise be closed to hunting.
- Must be 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 or 17 years old by April 22, 2017.
- Must possess a firearms safety certificate.
- Must have a parent, guardian or adult authorized by a parent or guardian who will accompany (as a non-hunter) the youth hunter while hunting, at the mandatory pre-hunt clinic/orientation and while purchasing a hunting license.
- Must be a must be a first-time turkey hunter or have purchased no more than one license and have not harvested a turkey.
Adult: civilian or military
- Must be 18 years of age or older and preferably apply with a friend or family member. If applying as an individual, you will be matched with another inexperienced hunter.
- Must possess a firearms safety certificate or apprentice hunter validation.
- Must participate in a turkey clinic/orientation and purchase a hunting license.
- Must be a first-time turkey hunter or have purchased no more than one license and have not harvested a turkey.
Family: civilian or military
- Must have one youth 12-17 years old by April 22, 2017, and one hunting adult older than 18 years of age to apply with the understanding that the youth will be given the first opportunity to shoot. Only one youth and one adult per application and only one application is allowed.
- Youth participants involved in the hunt must possess a firearms safety certificate. Adult participants must possess a firearms safety certificate or apprentice hunter validation.
- Must participate in pre-hunt turkey clinic/orientation and purchase the appropriate hunting license. More information will be provided in a letter if you are drawn for the experience.
- Both applicants must be first-time turkey hunters or have purchased no more than one license and have not harvested a turkey.