Annual Grant Program
What type of project could I do with an Annual Grant?
- Coastal Habitat: Protect the coastal areas’ natural resources and habitats including wetlands, forests, beaches and fish
- Coastal Hazards: Protect lives and property in the coastal area by minimizing risk to hazards such as storms, flooding and erosion
- Water Quality: Safeguard and restore water quality in Lake Superior and area streams
- Public Access: Improve public access to Minnesota’s coastal area
- Coastal Community Development: Help communities manage development or preserve the historic, cultural and aesthetic features of Lake Superior and its coast
- Coordination and Public Involvement: Collect, analyze, synthesize and share information and research results that will lead to better land and water use decisions in the coastal area or engage the public in critical government decision
What activities are ineligible for Annual Grant funds?
- Creation of wetlands or other habitat required as a condition of a permit or any other regulatory action
- Projects at wetland mitigation banks
- Maintenance and/or purchase of recreational equipment
- Harbor dredging
- Warehouse demolition
- Breakwater construction
- Large-scale hard structure erosion control projects
- Beach re-nourishment
- Building marinas
- Infrastructure projects related to road, water and sewer line construction
- Improvements to buildings for rental, lodging or private property
Which entities are eligible to receive an Annual Grant?
- Cities, townships and counties within the coastal area
- Area-wide agencies
- Regional planning agencies
- State agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Colleges and universities
- Public school districts in the coastal area
- Conservation districts
- Port authorities
- Tribal governments
- Joint powers boards
- Sanitary sewer boards
Are applications being accepted?
Who can I contact if I have questions?
You can direct your questions to Cynthia Poyhonen, Grants Specialist at 218-834-1447 or email@example.com.
Resources for Grantees
- 2015 - 2018 Grant Administration Manual - 31 pages, 1 mb
- NOAA Section 306A Guidance
- Past Projects
- Program boundary in Google Earth kml format Requires Google Earth (free)
- Minnesota's Lake Superior Coastal Program Logos