Annual Grant Program
What type of project could I do with an Annual Grant?
Your project must be conducted in Minnesota’s coastal area, be action-oriented, and align with one of the following categories and goals (of the national Coastal Zone Management Act):
- Coastal Habitat: Protect the coastal areas’ natural resources and habitats including wetlands, forests, beaches and fish
- Coastal Hazards: Protect lives and property in the coastal area by minimizing risk to hazards such as storms, flooding and erosion
- Water Quality: Safeguard and restore water quality in Lake Superior and area streams
- Public Access: Improve public access to Minnesota’s coastal area
- Coastal Community Development: Help communities manage development or preserve the historic, cultural and aesthetic features of Lake Superior and its coast
- Coordination and Public Involvement: Collect, analyze, synthesize and share information and research results that will lead to better land and water use decisions in the coastal area or engage the public in critical government decision
What activities are ineligible for Annual Grant funds?
- Hard structure erosion control projects
- Beach re-nourishment
- Road, water and sewer line construction
- Improvements to private property
Which entities are eligible to receive an Annual Grant?
- Cities, townships and counties within the coastal area
- Area-wide agencies
- Regional planning agencies
- State agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Colleges and universities
- Public school districts in the coastal area
- Conservation districts
- Port authorities
- Tribal governments
- Joint powers boards
- Sanitary sewer boards
Are applications being accepted?
Applications are not currently being accepted. Details around this year’s application process will be available in in November, 2014.
Who can I contact if I have questions?
You can direct your questions to Amber Westerbur, Coastal Program Manager at 218-834-1445 or email@example.com.
Resources for Grantees
- 2014 Grant Administration Manual - 26 pages, 1,547 kb
- Resolution of Authorization - 2 pages, 47 kb
- State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) Request for Review - 1 page, 3 kb
- Minnesota DNR Natural Heritage Information System Data Request Form - 4 pages, 205 kb
- Supplemental Information for Acquisition/Construction Projects - 13 pages, 268 kb
- NOAA Section 306A Guidance
- Project Acknowledgement Guidance
- Past Projects
- Program boundary in Google Earth kml format Requires Google Earth (free)
- Program Logos