Short Term Action Request Grants (STAR)
What type of project could I do with a STAR Grant?
Your project must be conducted in Minnesota’s coastal area, be action-oriented, and align with one of the following categories and goals (of the national Coastal Zone Management Act) :
- Coastal Habitat: Protect the coastal areas’ natural resources and habitats including wetlands, forests, beaches and fish
- Coastal Hazards: Protect lives and property in the coastal area by minimizing risk to hazards such as storms, flooding and erosion
- Water Quality: Safeguard and restore water quality in Lake Superior and area streams
- Public Access: Improve public access to Minnesota’s coastal area
- Coastal Community Development: Help communities manage development or preserve the historic, cultural and aesthetic features of Lake Superior and its coast
- Coordination and Public Involvement: Collect, analyze, synthesize and share information and research results that will lead to better land and water use decisions in the coastal area or engage the public in critical government decisions
What activities are ineligible for STAR Grant funds?
Activities that involve moving dirt or destroying vegetation are not eligible for STAR Grant funds. For example, you cannot erect signs, plant plants, pull invasive species, or build boardwalks or trails.
Which entities are eligible to receive a STAR Grant?
- Cities, townships and counties within the coastal area
- Area-wide agencies
- Regional planning agencies
- State agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Colleges and universities
- Public school districts in the coastal area
- Conservation districts
- Port authorities
- Tribal governments
- Joint powers boards
- Sanitary sewer districts
What are the grant logistics ($ and timeline)?
The minimum grant is $2,500 and the maximum is $7,500. Grant recipients can choose project start date between December 15, 2014 and June 1, 2015 and project must be completed within six months. Funds are distributed on a reimbursement basis (after costs have been incurred).
Are applications being accepted?
Application period is currently closed. STAR Grant Application Guidance. (285kb)
Who can I contact if I have questions?
You can direct your questions to Cynthia Poyhonen, Grants Specialist at 218-834-1447 or firstname.lastname@example.org.