Short Term Action Request Grants (STAR)
What type of project could I do with a STAR Grant?
- Coastal Habitat: Protect the coastal areas’ natural resources and habitats including wetlands, forests, beaches and fish
- Coastal Hazards: Protect lives and property in the coastal area by minimizing risk to hazards such as storms, flooding and erosion
- Water Quality: Safeguard and restore water quality in Lake Superior and area streams
- Public Access: Create or improve public access to Minnesota’s coastal area
- Coastal Community Development: Help communities manage development along the Lake Superior coast
- Coordination and Public Involvement: Collect, analyze, synthesize and share information and research results that will lead to better coastal land and water management or engage the public in critical government decisions
What activities are ineligible for STAR Grant funds?
Activities that involve moving dirt or destroying vegetation are not eligible for STAR Grant funds. For example, you cannot erect signs, plant plants, pull invasive species, or build boardwalks or trails.
Which entities are eligible to receive a STAR Grant?
- Cities, townships and counties within the coastal area
- Area-wide agencies, including county and regional planning agencies
- State agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Colleges and universities
- Public school districts in the coastal area
- Conservation districts
- Port authorities
- Tribal governments
- Joint powers boards
- Sanitary sewer districts
What are the grant logistics ($ and timeline)?
The minimum grant is $2,500 and the maximum is $7,500. Projects would start after we enter into a grant agreement, no sooner than February 1, 2016. The project must be completed within six months. Funds are distributed on a reimbursement basis (after costs have been incurred).
Are applications being accepted?
We are currently accepting applications for STAR grants. Applications must be received by 3:00pm on September 1, 2016, January 3, 2017 or May 1, 2017 to be eligible for review.
- Download the STAR Grant Guidance and Application Instructions
- Download the Application Cover Sheet
- Download Frequently Asked Questions
Who can I contact if I have questions?
You can direct your questions to Cynthia Poyhonen, Grants Specialist at 218-834-1447 or email@example.com.
Resources for Grantees
- Past Projects
- Our program boundary in Google Earth kml format. Requires Google Earth (free)
- Program logos (3 MB zip file)