General information for 261 and 262
The first suspected case of CWD along Minnesota’s border with North Dakota has been found in a wild deer harvested southwest of Climax. Hunters in DPAs 261 and 262 are strongly encouraged to use the self-service sampling stations in Climax and Nielsville throughout the 2021 firearms deer season, which concludes Sunday, Nov. 14.
CWD testing areas
- Testing strongly encouraged
CWD sampling is strongly encouraged for all deer, 1 year of age or older, harvested in these deer permit areas throughout the firearms deer season.
Self-service CWD sampling stations will be available throughout firearms deer season.
- Hunters should bring any harvested adult deer (1 year or older) to a self-service sampling station.
- Self-service sampling stations are open through Monday, Nov. 15.
- Deer must be registered before sampling.
- You will need to provide the township, range and section of your harvest location. Maps are provided at each station, but hunters are encouraged to have this information for their location of harvest prior to arriving.
Test results for all deer that are sampled will be available online at mndnr.gov/cwdcheck.
Know the township, range and section of your harvest
You will need to provide the township, range and section of the location where you harvested your deer.
Maps are provided at each station but hunters are encouraged to have this information for their location of harvest prior to arriving by using a cell phone or GPS device.
The DNR's recreation compass allows you to lookup the township, range and section (PLS). Simply display the satellite imagery and click the harvest location on the map.
To see how, click the image at right. You can do this anywhere; you do not need to be at the location of your harvest.
- What can I harvest?
- Bag limit designations vary by DPA.
- Hunters must use a Statewide (A) license.
- Hunters may harvest only one buck per hunter per year.
- Is this area affected by carcass movement restrictions?
No. There are no deer carcass movement restrictions for deer taken in deer permit area 261 or 262.
Self-service sampling stations are open through Monday, Nov. 15.
Self-service sampling stations will have an orange "CWD Sampling Station" sign and black barrel. Watch this video to see how to use a sampling station.