The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has grants to help communities manage ash trees for emerald ash borer (EAB). Any local unit of government within Minnesota is eligible including cities, counties, regional authorities, joint powers boards, towns, and parks and recreation boards in cities of the first class.
A pre-application process will be used to determine which projects can submit a final application.
- Preparing for EAB in Community Forests Grant
DNR received 50 applications for a total of $3,373,575 requested. DNR offered 13 grants to local units of government statewide:
- City of Bayport, $53,100.00
- City of Bemidji, $14,235.00
- City of Brooklyn Park, $100,000.00
- City of Columbia Heights, $100,000.00
- City of Duluth, $92,400.00
- City of Kellogg, $30,000.00
- City of Lake Crystal, $4,500.00
- City of Lakeville, $25,000.00
- City of Mahnomen, $6,413.00
- City of Mankato, $65,000.00
- City of Moorhead, $50,000.00
- City of New Ulm, $88,352.00
- City of Owatonna, $50,000.00
This grant assists communities in managing ash trees on public land for EAB. Eligible activities include:
- Tree inventory
- Develop a management plan that includes an EAB component
- Ash tree and stump removal and tree replacement
Grant requirements, additional criteria, grant limits, eligible costs, evaluation criteria for the selection process, application process, reimbursement, and important dates can be found in the Preparing for Emerald Ash Borer in Community Forests Grant Request for Application.
Application closed. Final Applications were due November 15, 2019
2019 Preparation for EAB in Community Forests Final - Budget
2019 Preparation for EAB in Community Forests Final- ApplicationEmail questions to the Community Forestry Grants Team.
- EAB Community Forest Response Tree Planting Grant
DNR received 25 applications with a total of $625,435.29 requested. This grant was open to any local government in Minnesota. Eligible activities include tree planting on public land and associated needs.
DNR offered 12 grants:
- City of Blaine, $28,364.00
- City of Hutchinson, $30,000.00
- City of Maplewood, $30,000.00
- City of Mendota Heights, $12,715.00
- City of Morris, $16,996.00
- City of Rochester, $30,000.00
- City of Roseville, $30,000.00
- City of St. Louis Park, $30,000.00
- City of St. Paul, $30,000.00
- City of Sauk Centre, $29,500.00
- City of West St. Paul, $25,000.00
- City of Winona, $7,425.00
Application closed. Final Applications were due November 15, 2019.