How do I report the location of an invasive terrestrial (land-based) plant?

There are invasive species that are widespread in Minnesota and others that have very limited distribution or are not present in Minnesota at all. Widespread invasive species do not need to be reported to the DNR.

The key species that need to be reported are early detection species. These are the species where rapidly controlling the populations can help prevent these species from becoming the next wide-spread pest – we can prevent the next buckthorn or garlic mustard.

Report the following species:

Minnesota Department of Agriculture Terrestrial Invasive Plants Early Detection Targets

These species should be reported to the Minnesota Department of Agriculture.
Call “Arrest the Pest” at 651-201-6684 (metro) or 1-888-545-6684 (toll free) or contact Monika Chandler, Weed Program, 651-201-6537, [email protected]

  • Black swallow-wort
  • Common teasel                
  • Cut-leaved teasel
  • Dalmatian toadflax
  • Giant hogweed
  • Grecian foxglove
  • Meadow knapweed
  • Oriental bittersweet       
  • Yellow starthistle  

Other early detection species

For concerns about other potential early detection species, report to Laura Van Riper, MN DNR, [email protected], 651-259-5090.

 Species such as:

  • Chinese yam
  • Japanese hops
  • Japanese stilt grass
  • Kudzu
  • Mile-a-minute weed
  • Tree of heaven

If the species has not been recorded in your location, or if you are not sure what you have, or not sure if it is of interest, follow these steps:

1. Map it

Note where you found the plant (mark on a map, note which roads, if you have a GPS unit, you could take GPS coordinates).

2. Take photos or make a collection

If you have a digital camera, take photos of the plants. Include close-ups of the leaves, their attachment to the stem, and any flowering structures that might be present.
***Be aware that some invasive and native plants have thorns, caustic sap, or are poisonous. If you touch an unknown plant, wear gloves and avoid any contact with your skin to keep yourself safe.***

3. Identification

Do you know what you have? Resources:

 Need more help with identification? Who can help you identify the species?

See terrestrial invasive species contacts.

4. Who do I contact to report the species?

 Depending on the species, contact the appropriate person listed for the species.


 Other invasive species (not early detection)

If the species is not one of the early detection targets noted above, but you are interested in sharing its location, we encourage you to report it to the Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System - EDDMaps This site has distribution maps of ~300 invasive plant species in Minnesota.   You create an account, upload the location of species, and upload photos and other information. Your information is then publicly accessible.


 Noxious Weed Law

If you are concerned about enforcement of the Noxious Weed Law (Minnesota Department of Agriculture), contact the County Agricultural Inspector in your area.