Metal traction device (stud) permit

As of July 1, 2004, the metal traction device (stud) permit is no longer needed for snowmobiles registered in Minnesota.

However, you may not operate a snowmobile with metal traction devices on paved public trails, except when allowed by local government on trails under these jurisdictions or any portion of a paved state trail designated for such use by the commissioner. More information about Minnesota's metal traction device (stud) law.

A snowmobile state trail permit is required for all snowmobiles operating on state or grant-in-aid trails..