by Michael Kurre, Mentor Coordinator
You say you’ve got the itch to fish and you need to scratch. Whether that itch is to provide ice or open water fishing expertise in: safety, education, where to go, looking for some experts or how to build your own jiggle stick (or for that matter, what is a jiggle stick?) for your students or personally; we can help soothe that irritation.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is in the process of developing a Certified Outdoors Mentors list of experienced anglers and outdoors people around the state in many disciplines of the outdoors adventure including ice fishing. These veterans of the out-of-doors are willing to help in the classroom as well as assisting with hands-on activities on the ice or in the field. For safety reasons these Outdoor Mentors have had a State of Minnesota background check and many have attended the recently developed Outdoors Mentor Training course. The program covers expectations of mentors and students, child safety, do’s & don’ts and where to engage in additional outdoors educations, skills and actual hands-on experiences.
Email Michael Kurre if you are interested in a monthly update of activities that are happening in the outdoors across the state like the following:
- Outdoor organization’s seminars, clinics, expo’s and contact information
- Fishing and other outdoors season openers
- Minnesota State Parks hands-on programs and special events
- Where to find outdoors programming and educational information on TV, radio, magazines and web sites
- Outdoors mentoring organizations and youth camps
And you can always "drop me a line" to help you find area experts in outdoor recreational activities to help you in the classroom.
- Don’t forget Take a Kid Ice Fishing weekend is February 19-21, 2011(February 18-20 in 2012). The idea behind these three "free" days of fishing is to introduce children and even some adults to one of the state's most popular wintertime outdoor activities. During Take-A-Kid Ice Fishing Weekend, anglers 17 and older do not need a license if they are accompanied by a child younger than 16 and are actively participating.
- Download a PDF on How to build your own ice fishing jiggle stick and more ice fishing “how to’s”.