North Shore anglers and others interested in learning about Minnesota Department of Natural Resources strategies for managing inland lakes in the Finland area are invited to comment on several lake management plans through March 27.
Lake management plans describe the past, present and desired future conditions of the fishery. The plans identify specific management activities planned for designated lakes over the next 5 to 20 years. They include background information such as water chemistry characteristics, water temperature information, and species presence.
Comments and suggestions from the public are crucial for planning and determining management success. For anglers, this is the best opportunity to influence how these lakes are managed.
The nine lakes below will be reviewed for the following reasons:
- Cloquet: review walleye stocking.
- Dam Five: review walleye stocking.
- Deep: update fish community information.
- Dumbbell: review walleye stocking.
- Finger: review walleye stocking.
- Flathorn: update fish community information.
- Pike: update fish community information.
- Section 29: review walleye stocking.
- Beaver Hut: discontinue trout stocking.
Draft plan proposals for these lakes, as well as recent fish survey information, may be viewed from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the DNR’s Finland area fisheries office at 6686 Highway 1, Finland. Electronic copies may be requested by calling 218-353-8855 or emailing [email protected].