Fall sessions set for Minnesota Outdoor Skills and Stewardship Series
Anyone interested in hunting, fishing and the outdoors can learn about activities like how to hunt pheasants, catch bass in the fall or get ready for deer seasons by joining webinars hosted by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.
“We’ll continue to reach people interested in developing their outdoor skills with a new lineup of webinars this fall,” said Benji Kohn, DNR volunteer mentor program coordinator. “With hunting seasons and fall fishing around the corner, we’re anticipating strong interest from people who want some tips about trying new outdoor activities.”
The DNR started the Minnesota Outdoor Skills and Stewardship Series in March to share how-to knowledge relevant to Minnesota outdoor seasons and activities. Most of the webinars center on hunting or fishing skills, and some have covered other outdoor activities like kayaking or foraging. The webinars are at noon on Wednesdays and last less than an hour.
The webinars are free, but participants are required to pre-register. Fall session topics are as follows and registration pages for the webinars are available on the DNR website.
- Sept. 1 – Upcoming deer season dates, application deadlines and special hunts
- Sept. 8 – Getting started in small game hunting, including equipment and where to hunt
- Sept. 15 – Transporting firearm or archery equipment for hunting, whether across town or around the world
- Sept. 22 – Waterfowl hunting basics, including tips and resources on how to get started
- Sept. 29 – Fall bass fishing tips, tackle and techniques
- Oct. 6 – Bird hunting with a pointing dog, and the training required for both the owner and dog to become a team in the field
- Oct. 13 – Pheasant hunting strategies, techniques and how to get started chasing longtails
- Oct. 20 – Bats of Minnesota and why many consider them a great backyard visitor
- Oct. 27 – The latest on chronic wasting disease (CWD) in Minnesota and what hunters need to know about this disease and what the DNR is doing to manage it
- Nov. 3 – Preparing for the firearms deer season, including last-minute tips, reminders, strategies to be successful this deer season
- Nov. 10 – Muzzleloader hunting tips and techniques
- Nov. 17 – Creating habitat in your woods to attract more wildlife
- Nov. 24 – Nature Rx, ahead of Free Park Friday at all 75 Minnesota state parks, about the health benefits of getting outdoors in parks, forests and other natural settings