Title. This slideshow requires the latest version of Adobe Flash Player.
• If you are looking for the Sand Dunes State Forest 2017 DRAFT operational plan, which is available for public review through Friday, August 4, please visit the Sand Dunes State Forest Stakeholder Advisory Group page page to access the plan and the online comment form.
• Sand Dunes State Forest is located in central Sherburne County, about three miles west of Zimmerman and 5 miles north of Big Lake. The forest can be reached by taking Sherburne County five north from Big Lake, off U.S. 10, or following Sherburne County Highway 4 west from Zimmerman off U.S. 169.
• Sand Dunes has something for everyone. The 225-acre Bob Dunn Recreation Area, nestled within the forest, holds a 36-unit Ann Lake Campground and Day-Use including the Sand Dunes Horse Camp which is busy on summer weekends.
• Sand Dunes consists of oak savanna forest and prairie and 2,700 acres of pine plantation on rolling terrain. It provides beautiful areas for many recreational activities, such as horseback riding, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, hunting, swimming, panfish fishing on Ann Lake, camping and hiking.
Boat Ramp Nearby
Canoe / Kayak
4 Miles Cross-Country Skiing
4 Miles Hiking
29 Miles Horseback
4 Miles Mountain Biking
23 Miles Snowmobiling
• This area is very sandy, which may make mountain biking difficult.
•Notice: Groomed snowmobile trails, as signed, are closed Dec. 1 to off-highway vehicles (OHVs) and highway licensed vehicles (HLV's).
• State forest roads are open to highway-licensed vehicles. There are no off-highway vehicle riding opportunities in this forest.