Boat & Water Safety
Laws and Regulations
The Boat & Water Safety program:
- provides the public with safety information and education programs, and coordinates the efforts of other safety agencies and groups throughout the state.
- collects and interprets statistical data on boat and water accidents and boating in general. Minnesota has the highest per capita boat registration figure in the country.
- Provides boating safety education programs for 12 through 17-year-olds to operate motorboats and personal watercraft. Also provide training programs for adults who may require training prior to operating boats in other States or Canadian Provinces. Find out more about boat and water safety education.
Closures and restrictions
Local and State Lake and River Restrictions
The Minnesota Lake and River Use Restriction Summary provides a listing of local government ordinances that, in addition to Minnesota Statutes and Rules, have been enacted to govern water surface use for bodies of water in Minnesota.
- Local water restrictions
(May 2015, 30 pages, 487 KB)
St. Croix No Wake Zone
- St. Croix high water No Wake restrictions
- Bridge Construction - Slow-No-Wake zone around the St. Croix Crossing bridge project. (Mn/DOT)
Metro Mississippi Lock Closure