Minnesota State Water Trails
Early Season Paddling
While daytime temperatures are rising, water temperatures may remain cold throughout the spring because of cool nighttime temperatures. Be prepared:
- Check river levels often before planning your trip. Select a river with water levels suitable for you to safely enjoy based upon your individual or group’s level of experience.
- Wear your life jacket – this is the single most important factor in surviving cold water immersion. Learn about cold water.
- Let someone know the route you are taking, and when you expect to return.
- Bring warm clothes and your cell phone in a dry bag, but know that some areas don’t have cell service.
- See more paddling safety tips.