Camping: Tipi and Wall Tents
A bit of history, a bit of tradition, a bit of adventure...try camping in a tipi, and you'll get all three! Each tipi is 18 feet in diameter and has a cedar deck inside. Check out the tipi photo gallery, and then book your tipi! Want another option? How about trying a wall tent?
Rates and Location
Tipi camping is available from $30 (weekdays) to $35 (weekends) per night in the Yellow Medicine River Campground at Upper Sioux Agency State Park and in the Blue Mounds campground at Blue Mounds State Park.
Wall tent camping is available at Myre-Big Island State Park from $30 (weekdays) to $35 (weekends) per night.
- Regular Season: Tipi sites typically late May to late October; wall tent mid-April to October
- Off-Season: closed
- Check-in: 4 p.m. (sites may be available earlier)
- Check-out: 4 p.m.
- Bathrooms: Water and toilet facilities are available
- Capacity: Up to six people*
- Cooking: Campfires are not allowed inside the tipis. Picnic tables and fire rings with grills for cooking are provided
- Firewood: Can be purchased at the park office. Minnesota restricts firewood being brought to or used on DNR lands. More information and vendor list
- Pets: All pets must be kept on a leash of not more than six feet and personally attended at all times
- Quiet Hours: From 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
*Note: Wall tent dimensions are 10 by 12 feet. The wall tent capacity is very tight, when using six cots. Contact park staff for suggestions.
Remember to bring
- Sleeping bags or other bedding
- Cot or sleeping mat
Make a Reservation
Online reservations can be made 24 hours a day, except for the first day a reservation becomes available. On that first day, reservations cannot be made online before 8 a.m.
A non-refundable reservation fee ($8.50 for call center/$7.00 for web) is charged for each reservation. This fee and camping fees for the entire length of stay must be paid when the reservation is made.