Firewood Restrictions Information
What you need to know.
- If staying on DNR state-administered land, buy it within 50 miles of the place you will camp from a DNR approved firewood vendor.
- If you are going to private campground, check with the campground manager for any restrictions that may apply.
- If you are going to your own cabin or that of a friend or family, leave your firewood at home. Buy it where you burn it or purchase from a DNR approved firewood vendor or MDA Certified Vendor.
What is Acceptable Firewood?
- Firewood sold to visitors at DNR state land destination.
- Firewood purchased from an DNR approved vendor or MDA Certified Vendor. Be sure to keep your receipt to show proof of purchase.
- Firewood that consists of kiln-dried, unpainted, unstained dimensional lumber that is free of any metal or foreign substances. Note: Pallet wood is not approved firewood.
To find a firewood vendor approved for your state land destination, check the DNR approved firewood vendor listing.
It's important to not accidently move invasive species from place to place, particularly in firewood. If you are going to your own cabin, or that of a friend or family, or private campground leave your firewood at home.