Dahle, S.P. 2000. Life history and distribution studies of the endangered Topeka Shiner in Minnesota, 2000. Report submitted to the Natural Heritage and Nongame Research Program, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. 7 pp.
This document summarizes the research conducted during the 2000 field season on Life History and Distribution Studies of the Endangered Topeka Shiner in Minnesota. As per our agreement, our studies focused on 5 objectives:
- sampling the remaining historical localities for current status
- sampling the Des Moines drainage for Topeka shiner presence
- determining the mortality rates caused by our marking and handling methods
- conducting pre- and post-spawn population estimates at the Elk Creek off-channel pools and Mound Creek
- conducting off-channel vs. main channel habitat comparison studies at an additional four site-pairs (including physical habitat measurements)