Firearms Safety Certification for Adults (18 and older)
- DNR Firearms Safety Certification is required of anyone born after December 31, 1979 to purchase a hunting license in Minnesota. Check requirements in other states.
- Must successfully complete one of the options of certification. (see below)
- Apprentice hunter validation.
Receive your Firearms Safety Certification by completing one of the following options:
- Independent study guide and workbook - available from a volunteer instructor
- Online course - take the course online and attend a field day
- Firearms Safety class - currently scheduled classes
- The instructor may collect a fee of up to $7.50 for costs incurred for the exam session and field day activities. DNR course fee is $7.50 payable on-line after completion of course requirements.
- The cost for the online course is a separate fee of $24.95, which is paid with a credit card directly to HunterCourse.com.
- Duplicate firearms certificates are available through any DNR License Agent or by calling toll free 1-888-646-6367 or local 651-296-6157.
- The firearms endorsement can be listed on the back of a Minnesota driver's license or identification card upon request.
Find (and sort) more courses on the DNR Safety Training Calendar!