Snowmobilers' code of ethics
- I will be a good sports enthusiast. I recognize that people judge all snowmobile owners by my actions. I will use my influence with other snowmobile owners to promote fair conduct.
- I will not litter on trails or camping areas. I will not pollute lakes or streams.
- I will not damage living trees, shrubs, or other natural features. I will go out only when there is sufficient snow so that I will not damage the land.
- I will respect other people's property and rights.
- I will lend a helping hand when I see someone in distress.
- I will make myself and my vehicle available to assist search and rescue parties.
- I will not interfere with or harass hikers, skiers, snowshoers, ice anglers, or other winter sports enthusiasts. I will respect their rights to enjoy our recreation facilities.
- I will know and obey all federal, state/provincial and local rules regulating the operation of snowmobiles in areas where I use my vehicle. I will inform officials when using public lands.
- I will not harass wildlife. I will avoid areas posted for the protection or feeding of wildlife.
- I will stay on marked trails or marked roads open to snowmobiles. I will not snowmobile where prohibited.
Source: DNR Snowmobile Safety Training Manual
Listen to a Snowmobile Safety Podcast