Snowmobile state trail sticker
Recent law change: A snowmobile that is registered after July 1, 2012 and receives 06/30/2015 expiration does not need the snowmobile state trail sticker to operate on state or grant-in-aid trails. The snowmobile registration fee was increased to cover the trail sticker cost.
A snowmobile that is not registered in the state of MN may not be operated on a state or grant-in-aid snowmobile trail unless a snowmobile state trail sticker is affixed to the snowmobile. A snowmobile state trail sticker costs $36.00 and is valid from November 1 through June 30.
An individual who possesses an unexpired MN snowmobile registration that was issued before July 1, 2012 and who was required to display a valid snowmobile trail sticker before July 1, 2012 must continue to display a valid snowmobile trail sticker until the snowmobile is renewed.
Snowmobiles operated by a dealer or manufacturer under their snowmobile dealer/manuf registration and operated on state or grant-in-aid snowmobile trails must display a snowmobile state trail sticker. The dealer/manuf snowmobile state trail sticker costs $16.00.
Anyone operating a snowmobile in violation of this law will be required to purchase an annual penalty trail sticker for $71.00 in addition to any ticket or fine.
A Snowmobile State Trail Sticker is not required for:
- a snowmobile while being used to groom a state or grant-in-aid trail
- a snowmobile owned by the federal government, Indian tribal government, state, and political subdivisions
- operating a collector snowmobile with a permit
- operating a snowmobile on portions of a trail owned by the person or the person’s spouse, child, or parent.
Four ways to get a trail sticker:
- Go to an Electronic License System agent.
(Find an ELS agent online or by calling 1-888-MINNDNR.)
- Call (888) 665-4236
(Visa, MasterCard, or Discover cards accepted. An additional convenience fee is added for sales via Web site or telephone (see web site for details).
- Use the DNR online licensing system.
- Go to the DNR Central Office in St. Paul
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155