National Wetlands Inventory Update
The update of the National Wetlands Inventory (NWI) for Minnesota is being conducted through a collaborative effort coordinated by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. The original NWI for Minnesota was created through a U.S. Fish and Wildlife program and was based on aerial photographs that primarily date from 1979 to 1984. The NWI data are used at all levels of government, as well as by private industry and non-profit organizations for variety of uses including wetland regulation and management, land use planning, environmental impact assessment, and natural resource inventories. The NWI is the only spatially comprehensive wetland inventory for Minnesota, but it is now considerably out-of-date.
Updating the NWI was one of three key recommendations from an interagency task force that developed the Comprehensive Wetland Assessment Mapping and Monitoring Strategy (CWAMMS). The primary funding source for this effort is the Environmental and Natural Resources Trust Fund.
- Online map viewer for published NWI updates
- Download updated GIS data layer for published NWI updates
- Project organization and contacts
- Frequently asked questions
- Minnesota NWI Update Project Brochure
- Comprehensive Project Plan for the NWI Update of Minnesota
- Requirements for the NWI Update of Minnesota
- Quality Assurance Plan for the NWI Update of Minnesota
- Data Plan for the NWI Update of Minnesota
- Technical procedures for the NWI update of east-central Minnesota
- Technical procedures for the NWI update of northeast Minnesota
- Technical procedures for the NWI update of southern Minnesota