Ice Fishing Shelter Removal Dates
Dark houses, fish houses and portables must be off the ice no later than midnight for each of the dates given in the following categories below.
- Minnesota–Iowa - Feb. 20
- Minnesota–Wisconsin - March 1
- Minnesota–North and South Dakota - March 5
- Minnesota–Canada - March 31
Dates of removal are determined by an east-west line formed by U.S. Hwy. 10, east along Hwy. 34 to Minnesota Hwy. 200, east along Hwy. 200 to U.S. Hwy. 2, and east along Hwy. 2 to the Minnesota-Wisconsin border.
- South of line - March 7, 2016
- North of line - March 21, 2016
- If shelters are not removed, owners will be prosecuted, and the structure and contents may be confiscated and removed, or destroyed by a conservation officer.
- After removal dates, shelters may remain on the ice between midnight and one hour before sunrise only when occupied or attended.
- Storing or leaving shelters on a public access is prohibited.
It is unlawful to improperly dispose of ice fishing shacks anywhere in the state. Please clean up around your shack and check with local refuse providers or landfills for ice shelter disposal information.