Available woody biomass resources
The following resources provide an overview of the current utilization and supply of biomass in Minnesota. They should not be used in place of a formal analysis or consultation when seriously considering the development of a new biomass facility. If you have questions or concerns, contact DNR's Anna Dirkswager, biomass consultant.
- Fact Sheets
- Woody Biomass Energy Facilities Directory
- Biomass Harvesting Guidelines
- Existing Studies on Woody Biomass Utilization and Availability
- Minnesota Woody Biomass Report
Biomass webinar » DNR's biomass consultant, Anna Dirkswager, presents a webinar on the scope and scale of Minnesota's biomass resources and biomass market constraints and opportunities.
Development of Procedures to Assess Brushland Resources for Woody Biomass Energy Markets » A pilot project was completed to assess shrubland density over a several-county area using a combination of on-site biomass measurements and remote sensing techniques. A simple technique for appraising brushland biomass volumes for markets was developed for use by field resource managers.
Minnesota Logged Area Residue Analysis » This report summarizes the results of data collected on woody logging residue remaining on harvested sites across Minnesota.
The DNR does maintain information on various proposed wood energy facilities. For more information, please contact Anna Dirkswager, biomass consultant, at 651-259-5253.
Link to other biomass websites
- Linking Habitat Restoration to Bioenergy and Local Economies
- Minnesota Forest Resources Council
- U.S. Department of Energy Biomass Program
- U.S. Forest Service Woody Biomass Utilization
- Minnesota Department of Agriculture - Energy from Biomass
- Minnesota Department of Commerce Office of Energy Security