Minntac Mine Extension Project
Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MDNR), as the Responsible Governmental Unit for environmental review of the Minntac Mine Extension Project in St. Louis County, Minnesota, has issued a Record of Decision regarding the Need for an Environmental Impact Statement for the project.
The MDNR has concluded that an Environmental Impact Statement is not required because the project does not have the potential for significant environmental effects. The justification for this determination is contained in the Record of Decision. The Record of Decision also contains the Department's responses to all substantive written comments received on the Environmental Assessment Worksheet during the 30-day review and comment period.
Issuing this Record of Decision concludes the State environmental review process for this project according to Minnesota Environmental Quality Board rules, Minnesota Rules, part 4410.1000 to 4410.1700. This project can proceed to permitting and approvals.
- Record of Decision, Cover Letter
- Record of Decision
- Record of Decision, Attachment A - Public Comments
- Record of Decision, Attachment B - Late Public Comments
- Record of Decision, Attachment C - Commenter Exhibits
Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
The proposed project
U. S. Steel - Minntac proposes a 483-acre extension of its existing open pit mining facilities in Mountain Iron. The extension will extend mine life and taconite production to 2031. Taconite produced from the extension will continue to be processed at the existing Minntac facility at the current levels of production.
A 30-day public review and comment period was open from August 6, 2012 through September 5, 2012. Public notice of the availability of this EAW was in the August 6, 2012 EQB Monitor .
- Minntac Mine Extension EAW Cover Letter
- Minntac Mine Extension EAW
- Minntac Mine Extension EAW Attachment A - Minntac Subwatershed and Stream Information
- Minntac Mine Extension EAW Figures
Paper copy available at:
- MDNR Central Library, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155
- MDNR Northeast Regional Office Library, 1201 East Hwy 2, Grand Rapids, MN 55744
- Minneapolis Public Library, Government Documents, 2nd Floor, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55401
- Duluth Public Library, 520 West Superior Street, Duluth, MN 55802
- Mountain Iron Public Library, 5742 Mountain Ave, 55768
- Virginia Public Library, 215 5th Ave South, Virginia, MN 55792
Written and signed comments on the EAW were to be received by Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 4:30 p.m.
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Division of Ecological and Water Resources
Attn: Lisa Fay
500 Lafayette Road, Box 25
St. Paul, MN 55155-4025
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
"Minntac EAW" must be included in the subject line.
Include your name and mailing address so that you can be added to the mailing list.
Submit signed comment letters by fax to (651) 297-1500.
Please call Randall Doneen at (651) 259-5156 if you have questions about this EAW.