Lake Superior - Poplar River Water District Project
Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MDNR), as the Responsible Governmental Unit for environmental review of the Lake Superior-Poplar River Water District in Cook County, Minnesota has issued a Record of Decision regarding the Need for an Environmental Impact Statement for the project.
The MDNR has concluded that an Environmental Impact Statement is not required because the project does not have the potential for significant environmental effects. The justification for this determination is contained in the Record of Decision. The Record of Decision also contains the Department's responses to all substantive written comments received on the Environmental Assessment Worksheet during the 30-day review and comment period.
Issuing this Record of Decision concludes the State environmental review process for this project according to Minnesota Environmental Quality Board rules, Minnesota Rules, part 4410.1000 to 4410.1700. This project can proceed to permitting and approvals.
- Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW), Cover Letter
- Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
- Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW), Attachment A - Public Comments
- Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW), Attachment B - Dr. Nieber's Memorandum
Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
- Lake Superior - Poplar River Water District EAW Cover Letter
- Lake Superior - Poplar River Water District EAW
- Lake Superior - Poplar River Water District Figures
- Attachment A - Natural Heritage Review Letter
A 30-day public review and comment period was open from June 11, 2012 through July 11, 2012. Public notice of the availability of this EAW was in the June 11, 2012 EQB Monitor.
The proposed project
This project provides for the creation of a public rural water district and the construction of a water pipeline and water appropriation from Lake Superior to provide potable and raw water to residential, commercial, and government customers within the district.
Written and signed comments on the EAW were to be received by Wednesday, July 11, 2012 at 4:30 p.m.
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Division of Ecological and Water Resources, Box 25
Attn: Randall Doneen
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155-4025
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org. "Poplar River Water District EAW" must be included in the subject line. Include your name and mailing address so that you can be added to the mailing list.
Submit signed comment letters by fax to 651-297-1500.
Please call 651-259-5156 if you have questions about this EAW.