ATV safety training
- As of August 1, 2006, training is available to youth ages 11 - 15. (Certificate is valid when student turns 12 years of age. )
- Must complete the ATV CD and attend and pass the ATV Safety Training class.
(see Classes listed below)
Ages 16 and Older:
Effective January 1, 2006, anyone who operates an ATV and is born after July 1, 1987 must complete the ATV CD Training Course before operating an ATV. Contact the DNR Information Center to receive a copy at 1-888-646-6367 or 651-296-6157.
ATV CD Completion Requirements (for ages 16 and older):
- Complete each section of the ATV CD
- Complete and pass the ATV exam.
- Print one copy of the exam to use as a Temporary Certificate and print and mail another copy with a check or money order for $10 payable to the DNR to:
DNR Safety Training Section
15011 Hwy 115
Little Falls, MN 56345
Upon receipt of the above required items, and ATV certificate will be mailed to you.
- Check currently scheduled classes listed below.
- Contact your local Conservation Officer
- Check your local newspaper
- A fee of up to $10.00 may be collected by the instructor for any fees they incur to conduct the class. Each student will also pay an on-line DNR fee of $10.00 upon completion of the course.
General Information for Youth Ages 11 - 15
Each student is required to demonstrate their operating skills within a closed course on a standard style ATV (straddle seat, handlebar steering) that they ‘fit’.
You must fulfill the following ATV course components:
- ATV CD-ROM: Available free of charge by calling the DNR Information Center at (888) 646-6367 or (651) 296-6157, or the Safety Training Office at (800) 366-8917.
- Written test and field operating class: Register for an ATV Safety Training class - see the Check currently scheduled classes. A $10 fee may be collected for this class.
**ATTENTION: If you experience problems completing the CD, please print this page of tips and Frequently Asked Questions to assist you.
Please Note: You will not be allowed to participate in the field operating class unless you have first completed the ATV CD-ROM.
Students who complete the ATV course are able to operate ATVs of any size with these restrictions:
- You must "fit" the machine
- You may make a direct crossing of a public road right-of-way or operate on state lands and frozen waters only if you are accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older who has a valid drivers license.
- You may operate on the bank, slope, or ditch of a public road right-of-way with a valid ATV Safety Certificate when accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
For additional class information or local instructor contacts, please check the All Terrain Vehicle Association of Minnesota website at www.atvam.org .
For general information on ATV safety training call (888) 646-6367 or (651) 296-6157.
Find (and sort) more courses on the DNR Safety Training Calendar!
Click on the course name for details.