Permit answer

Yes, the vegetation is emergent or floating-leaf.

A permit is likely required. Review regulations. Download instructions and application for APM permit Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to download this file. or contact your regional fisheries office.


Photo of mechanical control equipment.
Example of mechanical control equipment.

If the vegetation is floating-leaf

You may mechanically maintain a 15 foot wide channel though floating-leaf vegetation extending to open water, without a permit. Any greater removal will require a permit.


If the vegetation is emergent

Any removal of emergent vegetation requires a permit, however a permit of continuing duration to maintain a channel to open water may be obtained, under the following conditions:

  • The channel is no more than 15 feet wide
  • After the first year the channel is maintained mechanically (cutting or pulling)
  • The channel remains in the same location from year to year
  • These permits are not transferable

Back to start