Letter of Map Amendments Using LiDAR Elevation Data
This abbreviated LOMA application process is intended for locations where:
- It is clear that the entire building, or entire lot, is above the base flood elevation (BFE) based on review of the LiDAR derived contour elevations compared to the base flood elevation.
- The site is in Minnesota. This option is not available in other states.
- A map that includes all the features in the streamlined checklist is prepared by the community, a licensed surveyor or a professional engineer.
Click to enlarge
An older floodplain map has been digitized and superimposed on an aerial photo. Four houses would be eligible for a LOMA using LiDAR imagery.
What is LiDAR?
"Light Detection and Ranging" is an active remote sensing technology that uses laser light to detect and measure surface features on the earth. LiDAR-derived high-resolution elevation data products are available for many areas of Minnesota.
- Streamlined checklist - Information needed for a LOMA using the 2-foot contours from LiDAR
- Attachment for checklist - Highlights when 2-foot contours may be used in lieu of a field survey
- Certifications for LiDAR:
Certifications are available for all counties in Minnesota except for Pine and Stearns. You should find your county of interest in one of the certification letters below.
- 10/22/2012 certification statement for Southeast Minnesota (Dodge, Fillmore, Freeborn, Houston, Mower, Olmsted, Steele, Wabasha and Winona Counties)
- 1/2/2013 certification statement for Minnesota River Basin Counties (Brown, Chippewa, Cottonwood, Douglas, Faribault, Jackson, Kandiyohi, Lac qui Parle, Le Sueur, Lincoln, Lyon, Martin, Murray, Nicollet, Nobles, Pipestone, Pope, Redwood, Renville, Rock, Sibley, Swift, Waseca, Watonwan and Yellow Medicine)
- 1/14/2013 certification statement for Arrowhead Region (Carlton, Cook, Lake and St. Louis Counties)
- 2/15/2013 certification statement for Miscellaneous County Projects (Blue Earth, Chisago, Crow Wing, McLeod, Rice and Wright Counties)
- 2/22/2013 certification statement for Metro Area Project (Anoka, Benton, Carver, Dakota, Goodhue, Hennepin, Isanti, Kanabec, Meeker, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Ramsey, Scott, Sherburne and Washington Counties)
- 8/26/2013 certification statement for Central Lakes Project (Aitkin, Cass, Hubbard, Itasca, Koochiching, Todd, and Wadena Counties)
- 5/21/2014 certification statement for Red River Valley Area 1 (Big Stone, Clay, Grant, Stevens, Traverse and Wilkin Counties)
- 6/23/2014 certification statement for Red River Valley Area 2 (Kittson, Marshall, Norman, Pennington, Polk, Red Lake and Roseau Counties)
- 6/30/2014 certification statement for Red River Valley Area 3 (Becker, Beltrami, Clearwater, Lake of the Woods, Mahnomen and Otter Tail Counties)
- Certification for remaining counties to be added as it is available.