Firewise in Minnesota
The photos below show the difference between being unsafe and being Firewise. Can you spot the changes?
- Assessing your Property
- Do you border wildland?
- Is there a substantial amount of tall vegetation crowed in around your home?
- Do tree limbs extend over your home?
- Do you have a woodpile in close proximity to your home?
- Do you have any fuel tanks nearby?
- Have you used native vegetation in your landscaping?
- Does your property's driveway provide access to your home for firefighters?
- For more information on assessing your property
- Creating defensible space by dividing your property into three zones:
- Intensive Zone is the area of maximum modification and treatment. It consists of a 30 foot radius around all structures in which a majority of the flammable vegetation is reduced.
- Extensive Zone is an area of fuel reduction. This zone is 70 to 100 feet from the extend to 200 feet or more from the structure.
- General Management Zone is an area of traditional forest management and is of no particular size. It extends from the edge of your defensible space to your property boundaries.
- Maintenance of your defensible spaces otherwise risk losing the benefits of the Firewise protection.