Defensible Space - Living with Fire: Firewise
The photos below show the difference between being unsafe and being Firewise. Can you spot the changes?
- Assess your property by asking yourself these questions:
- Do you border wildland?
- Is there a substantial amount of tall vegetation crowed in around your home?
- Do tree limbs extend over your home?
- Do you have a woodpile in close proximity to your home?
- Do you have any fuel tanks nearby?
- Have you used native vegetation in your landscaping?
- Does your property's driveway provide access to your home for firefighters?
Helpful tool: Fire hazard measurement for your rural or forest home
- Divide your property into three defensible zones:
Click on the zones titles for what to do.
- Maintain your defensible spaces.
Click on the numbers for what to do.