The 2013 Minnesota Waterfowl Hunting handbook is available online, at license agents and many area DNR offices.
2014 Light Goose
Waterfowl hunters are reminded that the spring season on “light” geese (snow geese, blue-phased snow geese, and the smaller Ross’s goose) will open March 1, 2014 and run until April 30 again this spring. The season is allowed under a federal Conservation Order which permits the take of “light” geese during the spring. More information about the light goose conservation order.
August Canada Goose Management Action
Note: The following refuges are open for harvesting Canada geese during the August conservation action: Clay County, Evansville (Douglas County) and Harstad Slough (Stevens County).
Migration and hunting reports
What you'll need
North Ottawa Flood Control Project
Moist Soils & Shallow Lakes
The DNR intensively manages restored wetlands by keeping them dry during a portion of the summer growing season and flooding them during spring and fall. This creates shallow waters that ducks favor.
- How to identify ducks (article from US Fish & Wildlife Service)
- How to properly clean ducks
- Water Safety for Duck Hunters
- Duckboat safety tips for Minnesota waterfowlers
- Scaup and coot die-off at Lake Winnibigoshish
- Avian influenza, wild birds, hunting, and bird feeders
- Algae identification and information