Local Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Aid
A new county aid tax bill will provide $4.5 million in 2014 and $10 million a year in 2015 and years after to Minnesota counties to help prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species (AIS).
The Association of Minnesota Counties, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MNDNR), and MN Sea Grant have been developing materials, webinars, and workshops to help inform counties about ways to use the new funding. These resources provide useful information for any local entity.
Below are resources and links to more information online. We will continue to expand this list as new materials and information becomes available.
- FAQs: Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Aid – Developed by the Association of Minnesota Counties – June 2014.
- Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Aid – 2014 and 2015 certification charts showing distribution of funds for each county.
- Legislative Language: AQUATIC INVASIVE SPECIES PREVENTION AID
- Delegation Agreement Template - Use this template to set up an agreement with MNDNR to enable a local unit of government to hire authorized watercraft inspectors.
- Delegation Agreement Q & A
- Decontamination Unit Cooperative Purchasing Information
- Guidance on Mandatory Inspection Statute Language
This document explains the two types of inspection programs a tribal or local unit of government can create through a delegation agreement.
- Local Plan Template
Counties must develop guidelines, either by resolution or adopting a plan, outlining how they plan to use the new AIS prevention funding and submit it to the MNDNR. This template is a starting point to help you develop a customized plan for your county.
- Example of a Resolution - Crow Wing County Resolution for Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Aid
- Association of Minnesota Counties – AIS Webinar Series
- AIS Prevention Aid for Counties: A Resource Guide – MN Sea Grant
- Contact an Expert
Map of regions and contact information for MNDNR Regional AIS Specialists.
- Watercraft Inspection Program
Learn about what watercraft inspectors do and how the MNDNR's watercraft inspection hours are allocated around the state.
- Public Awareness Products
The MNDNR provides advertising, billboards, print materials, and other AIS promotional items you can download to distribute to your members or post at your business. You or your printer can personalize many of these products with your contact name and/or logo.
- AIS Signs at Water Accesses
The DNR posts signs at its accesses and is seeking local partners to help place signage at other public and private water accesses in the state.