Non-resident State ATV Trail Pass

non resident pass

Beginning January 1, 2010 Non-residents operating an ATV on state or grant-in-aid trails must possess a trail pass. The trail pass does not need to be displayed on the machine, but must be available for inspection when requested by an officer.

This pass is not required if the machine is registered in Minnesota. Non-residents do NOT need a pass if operating on a portion of an ATV trail that is owned by the person or the persons spouse, child, or parent. Duplicate non-resident ATV trail passes are available.

Fees for a Non-resident State ATV Trail Pass are:
New $21.00 for one (1)Year, Duplicates are $2.50

Non-resident ATV Trail Passes are available through the Electronic License System (ELS). ELS gives you three options for buying licenses: online, by phone or in person. Duplicates are also available via any of the below purchasing methods.


  • Online licensing:

    buy your license online at:

  • Phone:

    You can purchase licenses by phone: 1-888-665-4236 (1-888-MNLicense). Call any time of day or night, seven days a week. This toll-free call provides immediate licensing by way of a license identification number, which will be issued at the time of the call. The license identification number is valid until you receive an actual license in the mail. All purchases must be made by credit card. An additional convenience fee is added for sales via Web site or telephone (see web site for details).

  • In person:

    There are numerous ELS locations across Minnesota where you can buy hunting and fishing licenses and ski, horse and Non-resident ATV passes and apply for hunting lotteries in person. Look for ELS locations near you.