DNR Water Permits

open MPARS

Apply for water permits, request changes to existing permits, and report annual water use using MPARS.

open MPARS

Do I need a permit?

  • Check the Do I need a permit? page to learn about permitting requirements for water-related projects.

Water-related permit contact information

  • Projects that impact Minnesota's water resources are regulated by a variety of state, local, and federal agencies. In many cases, a permit is required from one or more of these agencies before proceeding with the project. Check the county-by-county listing to find the agency contacts in your area.

Well Construction Preliminary Assessment

Preliminary approval is required before drilling a well that will be used to withdraw more than 10,000 gallons of water per day or 1 million gallons per year.

Water appropriations permits

Infested waters diversion or transportation permits

Public waters work permits

Dam safety permits

Aquatic plant management control permits

A permit may be required for removal of aquatic plants, algae, swimmer's itch or leaches. If you believe that the growth of aquatic plants near your shoreline creates a nuisance, and are uncertain if your project will require a permit, use this flowchart to help pinpoint the steps necessary to identify appropriate control options. If you are already certain that your project will require a permit see the application form.

Fishery related permits

  • Fishery related permits are required for several types of fish removal and transport as well as to operate lake aeration systems.

Lake aeration permits

  • Information regarding permits to operate lake aeration systems can be found on the Lake Aeration Program page.