Firearms Safety Certification for Youth
- Youth ages 11 and older can attend a firearms safety certification course and receive their certificate. The Firearms Safety Certificate becomes valid at age 12.
- DNR Firearms Certification is required of anyone born after December 31, 1979 to purchase a hunting license in Minnesota. Check requirements in other states.
- Apprentice hunter validation.
Three basic rules of firearms handling
- Treat each firearm as if it is loaded
- Always control the muzzle of your firearm
- Be sure of your target and what is beyond
When and where are firearms safety classes offered?
Classes are added to the DNR website as the information becomes available. Check back often.
- Spring classes - February - June
- Fall classes - July - October
- Check the currently scheduled classes
What happens in the classes?
- The firearm safety class consists of a minimum of 12 hours of classroom and field experience in the safe handling of firearms and hunter responsibility.
- The field experience allows students to learn and demonstrate commonly accepted principles of safety in hunting and the handling of firearms. It includes live fire on a rifle range.
A fee of up to $7.50 may be collected by the instructor at the class for any costs they incur to conduct the class. The DNR course fee is $7.50, payable on-line after successful completion of course requirements.
Youth ages 11 – 17: Youth can complete the 12-hour online course at HunterCourse.com. It is recommended that you register your child for a Field Day BEFORE completing the online course; see availability for a Field Day by checking currently scheduled classes below.
Adults (18 and older): click here to start.
- Duplicate firearms certificates are available through any DNR License Agent or by calling toll free 1-888-646-6367 or local 651-296-6157.
- For more information about the program, call toll free 800-366-8917
- To have your firearms safety certification added to your Minnesota Driver’s License, bring your firearms certificate to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) when you renew your driver’s license and request them to check the box to add it as an endorsement.
Find (and sort) more courses on the DNR Safety Training Calendar!
Calendar of firearms classes
There are organizations that include the DNR Firearms Safety Training class as part of an event or membership package they offer. The fee for the DNR firearms safety training is set at $7.50, with an option for the instructor group to charge an additional $7.50. However, these other programs have additional costs which are set by the providing organization.