Firearms safety instructors
The DNR has over 4000 volunteer firearm safety instructors that train approximately 23,000 students annually. As of 2008, over one million students have been certified. Volunteers are essential to make this program work. Without volunteers this program would not be successful.
- Read about the history of hunter education and firearms safety in Minnesota.
- Find out about the duties, responsibilities and qualifications of a firearms safety instructor.
Firearm Safety Instructor training sessions
Classroom training sessions are taught by Regional Training Officers (RTOs) with the division of enforcement and are free of charge. During the training session, you will learn about the policy and procedures, teaching concepts, use of training aids and classroom training techniques.
One of the essential requirements to becoming a volunteer safety instructor is having knowledge of the course materials you will be responsible for teaching. Many applicants have taken a firearms safety course as a youth, which may have been over 15, 20, 25 or 30 years ago. Even though the basics of firearms handling and hunting ethics have not changed for several decades, over the last 5 to 7 years, the firearms safety course content has been updated. Instructors must review the online firearms safety course.
Certified volunteer instructor requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- Pass a BCA background application check
Becoming a Firearm Safety Instructor
- Process instructions - steps for new instructors and instructors seeking recertification
- Training class calendar - certified volunteer instructor classes
Information for current Firearm Safety Instructors
- Supplies, forms, manuals - download training materials
- Firearms Safety materials - guides and training aid ordering information
- Online course registration - schedule your training sessions
- Online supply order - order supplies for pre-arranged safety training classes
- Regional Training Officer Map
For more information on the Education and Training Instructors program please contact us.