Minnesota state park campground hosts
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live or work in a state park? Well, why not find out? For over 30 years, volunteers have served as "live-in" hosts at Minnesota state parks or state forest campgrounds.
Hosts are needed from early spring through the fall and for at least a four week stay. Campground hosts are provided a free campsite in return for services provided.
Details and responsibilities of being a campground host
- As a Minnesota State Park campground host, you will need to become familiar with local points of interest and where local services such as fuel, bait, and groceries can be obtained.
- Campground host on-duty days and hours will be mutually agreed between the campground manager and the host. You will be expected to provide services for four to five days each week, including weekends and holidays; you may be off-duty on the other two to three days.
- Campground hosts perform light maintenance work around the campground, including picking up litter, sweeping, and stocking of supplies in vault toilet buildings. You may also make emergency minor repairs, assist with park naturalists' program activities, and perform other duties as needed.
- Campground hosts will take no law enforcement measure other than being observant and advising users of unintentional infractions. Flagrant violators will be reported to state park personnel or the area forester responsible for the campground. Hosts may be asked to serve as a witness for flagrant violations that have been observed.
- You will set an example by being a model camper, practicing good housekeeping at all times in and around the host site, and by observing all rules.
If you’re interested in becoming a campground host
2017 calendar coming soon!
Still have questions?
If you still have questions about the campground host program, please call the program coordinator at 651-259-5607 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are lots of other kinds of DNR volunteer opportunities, year-round and all around the state. Explore them here.