The Minnesota DNR has received a limited number of reports from people who attempted to purchase fishing or hunting licenses online and came away from the transaction without a license, or having been charged in excess of the cost of a license.
People should keep the following in mind when purchasing a license:
- Online license purchases should be made only on this DNR website.
- If something doesn’t feel right during an online transaction, stop and call the DNR License Center at (651) 297-1230 or (877) 348-0498.
- Licenses also may be purchased by phone at 1-888-665-4236 (1-MN-LICENSE), or at approved vendors throughout the state. A list is available here: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/agents.html
- If you suspect you have been a victim of fraud in an online license purchase using a credit card, contact the card issuer immediately. You may also contact your local law enforcement agency.
Purchase the following:
- Fishing, Hunting and Trap Licenses
- Hunting Lottery Application
- Lifetime License Renewal
- Wild Rice Harvest permit
- Trail Pass for skiing and horseback riding
- Duplicate safety training certificates
Renew a registration:
- ATV, ORV, OHM, Snowmobile, and Boat
Self-Certify Safety Training Classes:
- Firearm Safety
- Snowmobile Safety
- ATV Safety
Note: Fishing licenses are valid March 1 through the last day of February of the following year.
It's quick, it's easy and it's the law!
Steps to Complete Your Online Purchase
- Click on a button above.
- Next, choose a search method to locate your customer record and enter the appropriate information.
- Please read the important notes section (below) that applies to you your residency status if you have trouble locating your customer record
- Pay for your purchase.
- We accept VISA, MasterCard, or E-check to pay for your licenses.
- A 3% convenience fee will be added to your total. In addition, $1.65 will be added to your total if the license is required to be mailed.
ALL SALES ARE FINAL - NO REFUNDS - NO TRANSFERS - NO EXCHANGES - NO CREDITS.
- Print: You MUST PRINT your license/pass/certificate. Mobile users receive mobile license information by text, email or both.
Note: The confirmation page is not a license.
- You will be able to print and use most license/passes/certificates immediately; however, if your purchase cannot be printed because it requires a tag or sticker (i.e., deer, bear, turkey, shelter) you must wait for it to arrive in the mail before participating in the activity.
- Licenses that require a tag or sticker should be received by US postal mail within 5 to 10 business days from the date of your online purchase.
- Temporary vehicle and boat registration receipts can be printed and are valid for 21 days until you receive your registration documents by mail.
- If you fail to receive your tag, license or sticker within 10 days please contact
Important Notes: Minnesota residents
- If you are 21 or older you must have a resident record on file to make a purchase through this site. If you previously purchased any of the bulleted items at the top of this page you should have a resident record already. If you have not purchased one of these items, create a resident record by visiting any license agent location with the required documentation or contact the DNR.
- Anyone 21 years of age or older, must possess a current Minnesota Driver’s License, a Minnesota Public Safety ID or have a receipt for an application for a Minnesota driver’s license or Minnesota state ID that is at least 60-days or older.
- To qualify as a resident and individual must have maintained a legal residence in the state for at least 60 days prior to applying for or purchasing a license.
Important Notes: Nonresidents
- If you previously purchased any of the bulleted items at the top of this page you should have a nonresident record already. If you have not purchased one of these items, create a nonresident record by searching for your record to ensure you don’t already have an existing record. If one cannot be found, you can then click the applicable customer button to create a new record. Once you have created your nonresident record you can purchase the item(s) you desire online.
Important Notes: All Customers
- Any license purchase requiring special documentation (e.g., social security disability, nonresident students) must visit a license agent or the contact the DNR to purchase the license.
- Anyone born on or after January 1, 1980 must have a MN DNR Firearms Safety Hunter Education Certification or Hunter Safety Education Certificate issued by another State in order to obtain a license to hunt or trap in Minnesota (a Permit to Carry does not meet this requirement).
- Please consult the appropriate regulations before purchasing your license/pass/registration for season dates times and information.
Please click here to verify that your browser is set up to print PDFs correctly before purchasing a license.
Difficulty with web application or need assistance: Email [email protected] (response within 48 hours) or call 1-888-773-8450.
You may also purchase your license over the phone by calling 1-888-665-4236 (license sales only).