All campsites in Minnesota state parks and recreation areas require a reservation before they may be occupied, year-round. We strongly recommend you make your reservations before leaving home, because cell phone coverage and wi-fi are unpredictable at some parks.
- Are reservations required year-round?
Yes, all lodging and all campsites in state parks and recreation areas are 100% reservable and require a reservation. Sites that are open in the winter still require a reservation.
You can make same-day reservations with no reservation fee, whether you're booking your site from home, from the road, or at the park.
If you want to camp without a reservation, the state forest campgrounds have first-come, first-served sites.
- How do I make a reservation?
Or call us toll free at 866-857-2757.
Call center hours
October 1 through March 31: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m., Monday - Friday and 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
April 1 through September 30: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. daily.
Closed on holidays.
- What is the reservations window - when can I book my trip?
You can make a camping or lodging reservation up to 120 days before your arrival date. If you're booking your stay at the maximum window, there's no need to book each day individually. You can book your entire stay in one transaction.
Online reservations can be made 24 hours a day, except for the first day a reservation becomes available. On that first day, reservations cannot be made before 8 a.m. Central Standard Time.
For those who prefer to be spontaneous, we offer same-day reservations with no reservation fee, whether you're booking your site from home, from the road, or even from the park.
- What are the cancellation and no-show policies?
The camping and lodging reservation fee is not refundable, and is charged at the time the reservation is made. If the departure date of your reservation is outside the 120 day reservation window you will need to wait 21 days before you can modify it.Camping cancellations
- Cancel 14 or more days prior to arrival: No cancellation fee.
- Cancel less than 14 days prior to arrival, but more than 48 hours prior to check-in: $6 online fee/$7 phone fee.
- Cancel less than 48 hours prior to check-in: $6 online fee/$7 phone fee, plus the first night's camping fees are deducted from the original site fees paid.
- Cancel 14 or more days prior to arrival: No cancellation fee.
- Cancel less than 14 days prior to arrival: $6 online fee/$7 phone fee, plus one night's lodging fee is forfeited. (Not to exceed the original amount paid.)
- If the site is not occupied by 11 a.m. the day after the scheduled date of arrival, the reservation may be canceled with no fees refunded. Upon cancellation, the site will immediately be opened for re-booking.
- What is the reservation fee?
It is $8 to make a reservation online and $10 to make a reservation by phone. These fees are non-refundable.
There is no fee to make a same-day reservation.
- I canceled or modified my reservation. When will I receive my refund?
Refunds can take up to five business days for your financial institution to process to your account.
- What is defined as 'camping' and what is 'lodging'?
Camping includes campsites, wall tents, yurts and group camps.
Lodging includes cabins, camper cabins, guest houses, suites and rooms.
- I have a camping reservation, do I also need to purchase a state park vehicle permit?
Yes. All vehicles entering a state park or recreation area must have a Minnesota state park vehicle permit. This includes day visits as well as overnight stays.
- Besides camping and lodging, what can I reserve or purchase using the reservations website?
- Online reservations for tours and programs, including cave and mine tours.
- Online reservations for the I Can! programs.
- Day and annual state park vehicle permits.
- Minnesota state park gift cards.
- Limited Nature Store merchandise.
Ski and horse passes, OHV and snowmobile registrations, and fishing and hunting licenses are not sold through the Minnesota state parks reservations system.
- How long can I stay?
Maximum nights for a single camping reservation: 14.
Maximum nights for a single lodging reservation: 7.
- I don't want to use a credit card but I need to make a reservation. What are my options?
We strongly encourage the use of credit cards for simplicity, but you can still pay with cash or check if you prefer - or a Minnesota state parks gift card.
Pay with cash (only available for same-day reservations, and only when the park office is open):
Contact the call center and tell them which spot you are reserving. They will put your reservation on hold. Then you need to contact the park to get their office hours, and make sure you arrive when there will be staff in the office so you can pay using cash at the park.
Pay with a check (only available for reservations over a month away):
You can only pay by check for reservations with arrival dates over 30 days out.
Contact the call center and tell them which spot you are reserving, and that you will be paying by check. They will put a hold on your site and give you instructions to mail your payment.
If we do not receive your check 21 days prior to your arrival, we will cancel your reservation.
Questions about your account, or modifying a reservation:
- I can't get into my account, or I can’t set up a new account. What should I do?
If you are trying to access an existing account, please include your name, phone number, and street address when you contact us so we can look it up in the system.
- Can I modify my reservation?
Yes, you may modify a reservation up to two times. If the departure date of your reservation was outside the 120 day reservation window when the reservation was made, you will need to wait 21 days before you can cancel or modify it.
If you have already modified a reservation twice and you need to make additional modifications, you will need to cancel and make a new reservation.
It is $6 to modify online and $7 to modify by phone at 866-857-2757.
To modify a reservation online, log in and go to "Your Account" and then "Your Reservations." Find your upcoming reservation on the list, along with options to cancel, modify or reprint your reservation.
To shorten or lengthen your stay, adjust the nights under "Reservation Dates."
- If you are shortening your stay you will be due back a refund.
- If you want more nights than are available, you will get an error message.
To change sites or parks, go to "Select New Unit" in the "Unit Details" box. You can now search for a new park or facility.
- Do not click the "Home" button - this will exit the modification process and start a new reservation!
- Go back through the shopping cart with your new stay. The system will adjust the amount you owe or the amount we owe you.
- How can I see my current and past reservations?
Log in and go to "Your Account" and then "Your Reservations."
This page will show all of your upcoming reservations. Use the date filter to see your past reservations.
Questions about gift cards or the online Nature Store:
- Can I redeem or purchase a Minnesota state parks gift card using the reservations website?
Yes! If you buy an electronic gift card through the website, it will be emailed to you with your order confirmation. Funds are available immediately and never expire.
If you buy a physical gift card through the website, it will be mailed to you through the U.S. Postal Service. If you purchase other items through the online Nature Store at the same time, they will arrive separately (earlier). Allow seven to ten days for your gift card to arrive.
You may redeem a gift card for purchases and reservations made through the reservations system. You can split your payment between a gift card and a credit card, but only one gift card may be used per transaction online. To apply multiple gift cards to a single transaction, please use the call center.
- What is the return and exchange policy?
All sales are final. If there is an issue with your order, you must notify us at [email protected] within three days of receiving it. Returns and exchanges will require proof of damage. Determining if an item requires action is at our discretion. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is not liable for shipping delays, lost or stolen packages. Shipping and handling charges are non-refundable.
- What do I do if I receive a damaged item?
- If an item arrives damaged, email [email protected] within three days. Include your confirmation number and a photo of the damaged item. After your return is accepted and processed by our staff, your refund will be applied to the same credit card used to make the purchase. Shipping and handling charges will not be refunded.
- I purchased an item online. Can I return it to a state park?
- No. Items purchased online may ONLY be returned, refunded, or exchanged through our online store warehouse. State parks and state recreation areas cannot assist in any way with orders placed online.
- What should I do if I have not received my order more than ten business days after purchase?
- Email [email protected]. The average time to receive an order is ten business days, but in some instances, delivery takes longer. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will not provide reimbursement for any shipping-related issues, and we are not liable for lost or stolen packages.
- I changed my mind. Can I cancel my order?
- No. Due to our expedited processing, we are unable to cancel online orders.
I still have questions or comments.
Please email [email protected] and we will get back to you.